Pages

Monday, January 31, 2011

How You React is Your Decision

Photo by Murray at New York Daily News
Here on the East Coast we are having a very snowy winter. During a recent snowstorm I was walking late at night in Brooklyn when I saw a woman who must have fallen on the sidewalk. No one else was around, so I asked if she was OK. She only partially answered. Then I asked if she wanted help up. She at first said no, then yes. I helped her up, and she continued to stand on the slippery metal grate. I told her to step into the snow, where there is more traction. She hesitated, and then stepped into the snow. She didn't seem to need anything else or have any motivation to get out of the cold. I felt my duty as a good Samaritan was done, and continued on my way.

I realize that I don't know anything about this woman and she may have had excellent reasons to stay in a heap on the sidewalk. However, in my short interaction with her, I sensed that she had a victim mentality. She almost wanted to stay sitting on the sidewalk, where she could dwell within self pity. She almost refused my offer of help to get out of the situation. She almost stayed on the slippery surface where she could fall again, and only reluctantly stepped into a more secure place.

Unpleasant things happen to all of us. How you react is your choice. Do you attempt to fix the situation? Do you accept offers of help? Do you take action to reduce the possibility that it will happen again?
*******************************************************

Do you need help getting out of a "slippery" situation? I offer coaching packages for all schedules and budgets.

Registration for online interactive e-courses starts tomorrow. Don't miss this super cool, go-at-your-own-pace, reasonably priced opportunity to get your life in order.

Join the Facebook Group Urban Nomad for insight, videos, questions to ponder and much more.

Would someone you know benefit from this blog post? Please consider forwarding it!

2 comments:

  1. I love this. It's so true! It's so easy to fall into that mentality, also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely, Mandy! I find myself tempted to slip into that every once in awhile, but being aware of it helps me stay out of the victim mentality. Thanks for following Urban Nomad!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...