Pages

Monday, May 23, 2011

People Who Figure Out How to Remember Things Are Better Off

While I am in Illinois to perform in "Happy Days: The Musical" I live with the other out-of-town actors in a large house owned by the theater. I also have been bestowed with the title of House Mom, an actual paid position. (This seems to be a gender neutral term, as the House Mom for the previous show was a man. But I digress.)

As the House Mom, I assign chores, buy supplies, keep track of the company vehicle (a sporty minivan) and coordinate repairs. At our house meeting I made one request: if someone needs something, put it in writing. It could be a handwritten note, a text, an email or sky writing, but it needs to be in writing. Why? Because I know that I'll forget things that I hear, but I remember things that I read. Is that true for you? Or are you the opposite?

I observe so many people continuously forgetting things. "Oh sorry, I forgot to replace the banana that I ate. I'll bring one tomorrow." And then tomorrow comes, and they still forget. They never took the time to remind themselves. They probably remember at inopportune times, such as when they are falling asleep or taking a shower or otherwise unable to replace the banana.

Figure out how you remember things. Put a system in place to remind yourself. Why? Here are some of the top reasons:
  1. Save yourself from the mental clutter of continuously remembering things you forgot, not doing them, and having to remember again.
  2. Honor the people around you by "paying them back." They appreciate it, even if it's a banana, and they'll be more likely to help you in the future.
  3. Good opportunities come to reliable people. I am not likely to recommend you to someone else for a cool opportunity if I don't think you'll follow through. I end up looking bad for making the recommendation, and someone else looses out on the opportunity.
***
Need help organizing your time, space or money? My 4-week Online Interactive e-courses called Organize starts June 1 and runs for four weeks for only $59.

Do you know someone who would benefit from this blog post? Please consider forwarding it.

Don't miss another Urban Nomad blog post! Become a fan of Urban Nomad on Facebook or visit the blog to sign up for email updates in the upper left hand corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...