Pages

Monday, July 13, 2009

St. Paul


Ah, Minnesota. It's where I often say I'm from (unless, of course, the conversation calls for one of the other places I have lived). It's where I reconnect with family and my urban tribe. It's where I go to shop tax free. And this time, it's where I went to get glass removed from my foot.

I stepped on glass last Thursday and got it checked at Urgent Care in Manhattan on Friday. The doctor said that "it might work itself out" even though there was already skin growing over it. I could still walk (carefully) but spent a weekend with occasional searing pain when I stepped on it the "wrong way."

Monday morning arrived and the glass was still definitely there. I planned to leave for Minnesota in the afternoon, so I called around to New York City podiatrists to get it removed before leaving. No one called me back, even from the place where the woman at the answering service said that she would page the doctor. Finally it was getting so late that I called my insurance to be sure that I was covered for such things out of state (I was) and then called a podiatrist in Lakeville, MN. A nice lady named Joanne answered. She was actually the nurse that worked with the podiatrist, not an answering service. She said that she'd ask the doctor if he could add me at the end of the day, and called right back with a yes. She said to be sure and call if my flight was delayed, because they would wait around for me. When I arrived and the doctor saw my foot, I recounted my story. He called last Friday's doctor "weak" for not taking out the glass right away. He suspects that he just didn't want to bother. It took this podiatrist only a couple minutes to remove the glass.

Another slam dunk for the Minnesota Health Care System. And for Minnesota Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...