Pages

Friday, July 31, 2009

Leave only Footprints


In 1992 I was staying in the home of a family in Brigham City, Utah for a week while I lead a
day camp at their church. At the end of the week, I left my shampoo and conditioner in their shower. It was nothing of great expense, but it taught me to keep my things together when I am staying somewhere, and to check more carefully before I leave.

That same summer, I lead a few hikes in the Rocky Mountains. One of the basics of high wilderness hiking is "take only pictures, leave only footprints". In other words, in order to preserve the ecosystem do not leave trash, do not wander off trails and risk killing fragile plants, and just generally treat the natural space as though you are a guest. Because you are.

I bring that idea into my nomadic lifestyle as well. Keeping my things in one area not only helps me to not forget them when I leave, but also helps to not impose on the people already in the space. I do not want to throw off the "ecosystem" of the place by leaving my things in the bathroom or strewn about another room. I practice this even when I am staying in someone's home and they are not there. The only exception is the
refrigerator, although when I stay somewhere for weeks I bring a small fridge. Having everything I need and keeping it contained seems polite, practical, and contributes to a personal sense of control in an otherwise chaotic lifestyle. From that solid base, I am able to fully invest in my new surroundings with passion and purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...