Pages

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

NoLa


I am in New Orleans for a week, staying at the Holiday Inn French Quarter. One of the people with whom I am working here read in a guidebook that all chains in New Orleans are somewhat lower quality than their counterparts elsewhere. My roommate pointed out that there would be no reason to make the rooms nicer considering what usually goes on in them, particularly around Mardi Gras.

This is my third trip here, and the second time for the Lutheran national youth gathering. The last time the national youth gathering was in NoLa was 1997. This time, it is the biggest event that the city has hosted since Hurricane Katrina with 37,000 attendees. It is sobering to think that people lived (and died) in the convention center and dome where we are hosting activities.

I heard one post-hurricane perspective from the volunteer driver who brought me from the airport to the hotel. He'd come to New Orleans as part of the coast guard and stayed here after retirement because he and his family love the food, music, and people. He'd also worked for FEMA over the past three years, and had occasion to bring people from New Orleans to Grand Forks, ND to show them how the town had recovered after their equally devastating 1997 flood. I am somewhat more familiar with the flood recovery in North Dakota and commented on what a great example that must be as a beacon of hope. He said that North Dakota's type of recovery would never happen in New Orleans because in Grand Forks the people decided that if their town was to recover, they needed to do the work and they did. He said that in New Orleans, many people just wait for someone to come and help them and do not put in the effort themselves. This is one person's perspective, but it is not what you hear on television. Even in this day and age of communication, you still have to go to a place to really get both sides of a story. This is why I travel.

1 comment:

  1. You know each night in the hotel I gave some thought to what the guidebook said and each night I came to the same conclusion: this may not have been the fanciest Holiday Inn but we had AC that worked and allowed us to sleep soundly in comfort each night. Our towels were fresh from the dryer and extra soft. The room was clean and safe. So maybe it wasn't fancy, but I was thankful.

    Similarly, I found it odd that most of the places we ate served the same entrees, same desserts, same drinks. I was disappointed. And then after getting back home I was thinking that perhaps this was simply because I have been pretty spoiled by my position in life. We're not rich, but we can eat out fairly often and have our choice of just about ANY type of food from many different cultures. The food in New Orleans was great and nourished my work for the week. So I couldn't find Mongollian or Thai or ice cream, but so what?! It's not a necessity it's a treat. And this has led to my being especially thankful for my daily food.

    This trip was a good thing for my family and me in ways we never thought about before going. Thanks for really driving this home!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...