Pages

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Tuesday Travel Tip: Plan Ahead to Have Your Work Done Early

Non-perishables and other necessities
You may recall my post in July with the same title as today's post: Plan Ahead to Have Your Work Done Early. This past week, I did a better job of following my own advice. Faced with Hurricane Irene and potential power outages, I worked ahead on many things.
  • Wrote blog posts and other social media
  • Contacted people who were scheduled for one-on-one coaching sessions early in the week
  • Made other arrangements for plans with friends
  • Confirmed the cancellation of a Rodgers and Hammerstein show I was supposed to sing in
  • Picked up batteries, a flashlight and a radio from my storage unit
  • Bought non-perishable food items
In fact, every step of the way, from shopping to communicating about plans to retrieving supplies, I never felt rushed or stressed. By shopping Thursday instead of Friday, I actually was able to buy all of the food that I wanted before the shelves were empty. By having batteries and a flashlight well ahead of time, I did not have to fight the crowds to buy those items. I even had time in the midst of my hurricane preparations to get a massage, and time to sit and talk with a friend who I ran into just hours before the rain began. Why? Because I was prepared.

Of course all storms are unpredictable. Now that it's over, I realize that my area was spared and my thoughts are with others who are still recovering. Yet, at least the "storm" didn't start early for me with a flurry of rushing through necessary errands before things were sold out or the transit system shut down (as it did at noon on Saturday). I also didn't cross that line into living from a place of fear by over-preparing, which we've all seen someone do. I calmly used the information I had to prepare the best I could, and trusted that I could handle whatever unexpected things came my way.

The best part of the storm for me: I had time to create a whole new webinar: "Smooth Travels: 10 Essentials you must pack for the Journey to your Next Big Goal." Join me for a free 60-minute webinar this Thursday, September 1 at 6 pm PDT / 9 pm EDT.

***
Want these blog posts delivered right to you email inbox? Sign up on my website!

Is it time to pursue your life-long goal or to make a creative and lasting impact on your organization? I can help you make a map to your goal through one-on-one coaching by phone or email and interactive eCourses.

Do you know a smart, creative, spiritually-minded person who might be interested in this blog post or my coaching giveaway? Please forward it in it's entirety, compliments of Dawn Trautman, Urban Nomad. Copyright, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...