Pages

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Fully Engage in Your Surroundings

I walked past a kiosk at the mall last weekend. The kiosk sold CDs of Christmas music. The employee talked to shoppers as they walked by. He played the music louder than the mall's ambient music. He asked people questions, offered samples, and laughed often. He made the best of what could be a stressful or boring holiday job by choosing to be fully engaged. He also sold a lot of CDs.

Tuesday evening I walked past the same kiosk. A female employee sat there texting. The music played quietly. She did not notice anyone who walked by. She was fully engaged in her texting conversation, but she was slumped over and appeared bored. I did not see her sell any CDs. She was there in body but not in mind or spirit.

This is not a blog post about the evils of texting. I find texting extremely useful and often entertaining, but not when it takes me out of my surroundings. Extended text conversations don't allow me to fully engage.There are many other activities that also prevent me from fully engaging, and I try to avoid them. What habits or activities do you use as a distraction? What prevents you from fully engaging?

No matter what you are doing this holiday season, whether selling CDs at the mall or attending a family gathering, fully engage. It's more productive, it's more fun, and it allows you to be fully present in body, mind and spirit.

*****************************************
Not sure how to fully engage? Contact Dawn to set up a coaching appointment.
Know someone who would benefit from this blog post? Please consider forwarding it.
To receive future blog posts right in your Facebook news feed, become a fan of Urban Nomad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...