Pages

Monday, April 2, 2012

Monday Musing: Living Outside Your Comfort Zone

{Photo found via Pinterest}
There are a few questions to which I am never sure how to answer.

"How did you sleep?"
(Fine, I guess. How do I assess that, exactly?)

"Where do you live?"
(This is a can of worms for a person who has no permanent residence.)

"Are you doing this actor/life coach/author thing forever?"

I realize that those who ask don't truly mean forever, but I think they mean for the rest of my professional career. A question like that implies that all of the major decisions about my career are behind me. I suppose there are still some people who decide what they will "be" in their twenties, and then they spend several decades making a progression through one career.

 That's not what I'm doing.

I don't truly believe that every door is still open to me. For example, I definitely don't want to go back to grad school, which precludes me from becoming a doctor or a lawyer or some such thing. I also am much less willing than I once was to carry anything heavy or sleep on the ground for more than a week, which rules out any number of careers. (Himalayan climbing guide comes to mind.)

However, I don't know that I'll be an actor/life coach/author "forever." I might, or I'll be whatever comes after that. Even though I don't know what's next, I know it will be something that makes sense. What I am now flows nicely out of experiences and interests I had ten years ago. I continue to be the same person, growing and changing in relationship to the people and opportunities around me, and the ways in which my skills and talents can better serve others in new situations. I like to think that I am cultivating a life of meaning, not just playing out the logical conclusions to decisions I made long ago. I'm willing to take the risks, explore the next opportunity, and yet trust myself to not lose focus and direction.

My life as it is today is something I never could have imagined ten years ago. How could I possibly know the things for which I am preparing myself in another decade or two or three? I can only imagine how I'll be able to serve in the coming decades, but I am excited to figure that out. What I do know is that I will be attempting to push my comfort zone and live more fully every step of the way.

***
If you are happy in your comfort zone, I'm happy for you. If you are ready to change your world, and in turn change the whole world, let's talk! Check out my new book, "Urban Nomad USA: Travel Sized Life Coaching for Journeys of All Sorts" now available for purchase! Better yet, get a signed copy at the book release cabaret currently planned for St. Paul and New York City, or contact Dawn to do the cabaret with your organization in April or May, 2012.

Ask these and other important questions by enrolling in the 4 month eCourse that starts April 9! Join our world wide movement of Good People Going Great Places. You'll be in a group of intelligent, creative, spiritually-minded people as they examine questions of identity, purpose and passion, and then actually do something to make a difference in your world. Find out more, and register today.

Don't miss another blog post! Sign up on my website to have them delivered by email or become a fan of Urban Nomad on Facebook to see them in your news feed.

Do you know an intelligent, creative, spiritually-minded person who might be interested in this blog post? Please forward it in its entirety, compliments of Dawn Trautman, Urban Nomad. Copyright, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...