Pages

Friday, September 9, 2011

Fear (and what to do about it)

{Photo found on Pinterest}
I meet people on a semi-regular basis who say they would love to work with me as a life coach, but they are afraid.

I find it rather brave that they would tell me they are afraid. It tells me that they are only afraid of certain things, not everything. After a brief conversation, I discover that they are not actually afraid of me as a person (wheh!) but rather what they might discover they need to do as a result of our coaching conversations.

Anything can be frightening until you have more information, but sometimes you can't get all the information you need without actually doing the thing that frightens you.

So you can be stuck or you can face the fear.

I can tell you that I have done many things that started out very, very scary: move across the country by myself, buy and sell a condo, and leave a full time job with benefits in order to follow my passions. I have also not yet done many things that frighten me, but I'm working on it slowly.

Sometimes fear is a useful reaction that helps you avoid some sort of actual danger. Other times fear is something that you must acknowledge, assess, and then act anyway. What kind of fear are you experiencing? Talk about it, gather information, and find people to support you.
***
As a coach, I help people sort out which fears are worth listening to and which fears to manage and take action in spite of them. No matter which it turns out to be, I provide support and encouragement through the entire process, and help people live lives of passion and purpose. Check out one-on-one coaching by telephone or email and 4-week interactive eCourses that start this Tuesday, September 13.

Don't miss another blog post! Sign up on my website to have them delivered by email or become a fan of Urban Nomad on Facebook to see them in your news feed.

Do you know a smart, creative, spiritually-minded person who might be interested in this blog post? Please forward it in it's entirety, compliments of Dawn Trautman, Urban Nomad. Copyright, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...