Pages

Friday, February 26, 2010

Bored

Whenever anyone over the age of 12 says that they are bored, I answer, "I don't believe in bored". I find that this confuses most people and leads to a discussion. At first, the person defends themselves, pointing out the ways in which the present situation is not stimulating enough. I affirm that the person is experiencing some lack of stimulation, I just don't understand why they choose to be in that state. The person usually repeats how "boring" the situation is, and the reasons that he or she cannot escape the boring situation. They generally don't understand that they have the option to either figure out something to do or figure out how to just be. To say that you are bored is to say that the world around you is supposed to entertain you at all times, and that currently the world is not doing its job. I point out to the bored person that I am in the same situation with them, but I am not bored. Thus, it's not the situation itself, it's the person's perception of the situation. I have never really "won" this discussion with a bored person, but I have in effect taken them out of their boredom for the few minutes that we are talking about it.

Boredom is presented as almost the opposite of the state of "flow" in the famous chart by Mihály Csíkszentmihályi. Here, boredom happens when you are engaged in a task that does not have a great deal of challenge or use your skills. I realize the improbability of always living in a state of flow, in which your skill level matches your challenge level and you enter a highly productive and creative state. However, I believe that it is your responsibility to entertain yourself.

Perhaps sometime when you think you might be getting bored you could let me know what you think about all of this.

4 comments:

  1. I always say, "Boredom is a choice." My mom calls it the B word. I also like when people say "Only boring people get bored." Anyway, I agree with you.

    Eli (Hunstad)

    PS. I love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Eli!

    You definitely strike me as someone who isn't ever bored since you aren't a boring person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dawn, I loved this post and wrote about it a bit on my blog today...you're life is inspired and I love that.

    Joyfully,
    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah - Oh so true. Boredom and Apathy are so linked. When I'm invested, I'm never bored.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...