Pages

Monday, January 18, 2010

Practice Makes Perfect

As I mentioned in my last post, I prefer to do projects in one big creative session rather than doing a little bit each day. However, this is my year of Leveraging Consistency. Practice makes perfect. I've heard it before, but don't always heed that advice. When my commitments cause me to do the same thing every day (such as during the run of a show when I sing or dance six days a week), I get noticeably better. Things are different when I am doing something on my own. Once I've done it "right" a few times, I am ready to move on to something else. Insatiable curiosity is great, but to be truly excellent we must practice. Malcolm Gladwell, in his book Outliers, says that to be truly genius at anything, we must practice 10,000 hours. I don't know that I have done anything for 10,000 hours, but I have seen the early fruits of such labor. When we truly master something, we intuitively know how to do it well. It is deep within our bones. It is part of our DNA. What a powerful concept to know that if we just spend the time, we really can be great at any number of things for which we have a natural aptitude.

Now it's just a matter of choosing which things are worthy of seeking true greatness.

2 comments:

  1. Hi lovely lady! Welcome back!
    Awesome post! Very timely, I was just thinking last night if I would devote practice to tap and singing I will actually be confident in doing them. Somehow I subconsciously think that since I'm "older" I shouldn't have to practice these things anymore...daaaa....silly me! Simple yet profound concept.

    The only things I've done for 10,000 hours are sleep, eat, hang out with friends and twirl a baton....all of which I have mastered :) Thanks for the timely inspiration! Let's have a date soon! Miss you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I hope this inspires you to tap and sing and do all sorts of things in 2010! CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...