Pages

Friday, August 14, 2009

Snail Mail

When people hear about my being a nomad, they often ask me how I receive snail mail. I use a service called Earth Class Mail. They receive my mail, scan it, and email it to me. I have the option of picking it up, having it forwarded, or telling them to shred and recycle it. They also accept packages and will hold them for up to 90 days. Their office in Manhattan is conveniently located, making it easy to pick things up. What's even better than picking things up are the things I don't have to pick up. I will never receive junk mail again. I just click a button to have them recycle it. I can also download financial statements, send them electronically to my accountant, and never be bothered with the paper. Never again will I get behind on mail (or have to have it held, or find someone to pick it up) while I am out of town.

My new relationship with Earth Class Mail makes me think back to my early days of having a cell phone. It wasn't long before I had only a cell phone and no land line. At first, I just didn't want to pay for two phones. Now, after 14 years of having the same cell phone number, all of my friends, family and business contacts have the number. Although at first it seemed less "grounded" to only have a cell phone, I am actually EASIER to keep track of than if I'd had a series of land line numbers. I believe that the same thing will happen with Earth Class Mail. As I move around, I will continue to keep my address the same, providing another piece of stability in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...