Pages

Sunday, December 27, 2009

The Christmas Theme

Many years ago, sometime after the end of my own childhood and the beginning of the next generation, my family decided that we would have a theme each year for our stocking gifts. Everyone would get everyone else a present under $10 within the theme. Creativity is highly rewarded. Over the years some of our best themes have been
- Elements
- Millennial
- Conceal and Carry
- Made in China
- Black and White
- Initials
- From the Heart
One year we had to get everyone else the same thing, and it had to be something useful. Another year we had to create experiences for everyone to do together, including my then four-year-old niece.

This year the theme was numbers. My mother made an elaborate Bingo game using only prime numbers. My sister in law played up her "12 Days of Christmas" plates and mugs. There were gifts of items that had numbers printed on them, such as a card game or crayolas. I did a series of readings from the book of Numbers in the Bible, emphasizing key words in each verse that had to do with the gift. When I read a verse about a pillar of fire (Num 14:14) I gave a pillar candle. I asked each person to give their gift back to the common good, just like the Israelites wandering in the wilderness. The candle was joined by a serving plate (Num 4:27), appetizer plates (Num 4:7), a silver trumpet ornament (Num 10:4), and finally a dessert (Num 11:8). I ended with the Benediction (Num 6:24-26). Another memorable Christmas for the record books. (By the way, I used the NRSV - other translations may not have all of my key words!)

4 comments:

  1. I love this idea and I admire your creativity in using Numbers from the bible and the gifts to go along with the verses. I hope you guys had a wonderful and blessed Christmas! Can't wait to see what you guys come up with next year! :)

    ~Andrea Roth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Andrea! It has been a fun way to structure Christmas. If you have suggestions for themes, we are open to ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very creative. love it. Let me know when you are in MPLs. would love to connect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jill! I heard from Hal that you had a good Christmas with Will in town.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...