Pages

Monday, October 12, 2009

Urban Nomadic Church


I never realized it before, but I attend an Urban Nomadic church. They do not use the term, but they have five services in four locations every Sunday, none of which are in a building that the congregation owns. I walked into one of the locations that I had not attended in almost a year, unsure of whether I wanted to stay in this unfamiliar place. Immediately someone recognized me and approached me to chat. Then I saw two others that I knew and we sat together. The same musicians started to play, with their familiar sound. The same pastor preached. And I knew that I was at Redeemer, not because of the location but because of the people.

When it comes right down to it, Jesus himself was a nomad. He traveled all over to spread his message, and asked his disciples to leave everything to follow him. Perhaps I need to start telling people that I am trying to be more like Jesus by being a nomad. It wouldn't really be true because that's not why I'm doing it, but it would be a great conversation starter (as though being a nomad isn't conversation enough). Would that encourage greater acceptance of my choice or less? Its hard to say.

2 comments:

  1. Nice observation & reflection.
    Hope all is well by you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! All is well. I enjoy your blog as well.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...