Pages

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The storage space

As the seasons have changed, I have appreciated the easy access to the contents of my storage space, courtesy of my ultra organized mother.

Mini storage is a way of life in Manhattan. My 7x10 space is well-located in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan, on the tenth floor of the building, in one of the many locations operated by Manhattan Mini Storage. They know their audience, with perks such as free car service to visit the space and free moving services. It is clean, well-lit and secure.

I packed my storage space strategically. Or more specifically, I had the movers pack it strategically. I assisted them by putting a bright orange sticker on anything that I wanted near the front for easy access. All of the things that I won't need to access are in back (such as the couch, pots and pans, etc). My clothes are hung on two rolling racks that can easily be rolled out so that I can treat the space like a walk in closet. I have shelves in front, with each box of things labeled in pencil with its contents. The lists of contents are on removable index cards that are slipped into clear passport holders that are in turn taped to the box. If something is added or removed from a box, the card can easily be slipped out and updated. The boxes are each numbered, and the contents are also entered into my computer. It sounds like a lot of trouble to go to until you suddenly want your tap shoes (true story).

Before all of this began, I considered moving many of my belongings to Minnesota, where my parents live. A friend pointed out that I will feel like I live where ever the majority of my things are located. It turns out she was right. So for now, I am glad that my things are located in Manhattan, even as I traipse around to other locations. And I'm glad that I have my tap shoes while doing it.

1 comment:

  1. This storage thing is a good idea. I wish I had something like this in my area. If you live in a small space, you always wish you had more storage.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...