Pages

Monday, December 26, 2011

Monday Musing: Sightreading Christmas Carols

Our book of Christmas Carols
Since I don't really cook and I am in a family of good cooks, I generally stay out of the kitchen on Christmas. Part of my job is entertainment. Sometimes that means playing with my nieces, but I also find time to play the piano. Every year I sight-read our vintage Christmas Carol book. No one really sings along, but everyone seems to enjoy it. My niece just started piano lessons, so this year she jumped in a few times to play a song.

As I was playing this year, it occurred to me that it is much easier to sight read a song I know. When the chords become complicated, I can ignore the right hand and keep the familiar melody going while I focus on what the left hand needs to do. Isn't that the way lots of things are in life? When something difficult demands our full attention, it's important that we have some other things that are very familiar so that those things can keep going while we focus on the problem at hand. That's why healthy habits are so important. Without healthy habits that can keep going under most circumstances, we have to focus on daily practices, and those daily practices fall by the wayside as soon as something else demands our attention.

Which leads me to my next thought: you have to keep the song going, especially when everyone knows it. Even when the arrangement is difficult, you can't stop and worry about a wrong note, you just have to keep it moving. Perfectionism slows us down and interrupts the song. At it's extreme, it makes the song almost unintelligible.

However, there is a time and place to work on something and make it better. Since I don't have a piano of my own, much of my time at the piano is sight reading. It's been years since I've practiced a song and really learned it. Thus, I decided that this week I would learn Bach's Invention #1. I've practiced every day. Productive practice means that we look for the areas that are difficult, go over the details slowly, and learn to improve. As tempting as it is to "practice" the things we do well, in order to really improve, we need to practice the things we don't do well.

And so it came to pass that I am pretty good at Bach's Invention #1, but I'll always enjoy playing through the book of Christmas Carols, mistakes and all.

I hope that your holidays have been merry and bright.

***
Equip yourself for the new year with a Super Strategic Map Making Session - live in person or via webcam! It's the structure, strategy and momentum that you need to get started.

The next round of interactive eCourses begins January 3! Explore who you were created to be, get organized with your time, space and money, and then learn to set and achieve goals. All of these are available in 4-week courses that you complete on your own time each day.

Don't want to miss another blog post? Sign up on my website to have them delivered by email or become a fan of Urban Nomad on Facebook to see them in your news feed.

Do you know a smart, creative, spiritually-minded person who might be interested in this blog post? Please forward it in its entirety, compliments of Dawn Trautman, Urban Nomad. Copyright, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...