Pages

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Tuesday Travel Tip: Guard Your Time

(Gathering of friends in Christchurch, New Zealand)
It's so exciting to revisit a place where you know a lot of people. It can become an endless series of coffees, lunches and walks in the park. What I have found is that if I do too much of that, I end up with shallow relationships with lots of people instead of meaningful relationships with a few people. Thus, when I go to a place where I know a lot of people, I don't always advertise that I am coming. Before I arrive, I set up large blocks of time with a few people so that we share real experiences, not just a quick meal where we each give a hurried overview of our lives. Once I am there, I may set up a gathering for the group of people I am not seeing one-on-one. The list of people I see may change from one trip to the next, but I find that over the years I'd rather have deep, sustaining relationships with a few people, so I make time for them and guard that time.

If it's a short trip, I may never even tell large groups of people that I was there, but instead spend more time with a few close friends. Of course there is always the possibility when you "sneak" into town and that you may be spotted. On one recent trip to Minnesota, friends of friends that I'd stayed with on a trip to New Zealand spotted me at the The Mall of America. They texted the mutual friend, who texted me, and the jig was up. We all laughed about  how I thought I'd covered all my bases but never considered that friends from New Zealand might be at the Mall of America.

Apparently my international fame has reached new heights. Until yours does, guard your time on your trips so that you have time for the people that you came to visit.
***
Not sure what you'd learn in an eCourse? Know yourself better before that next date/job interview/big life-changing decision. Understand how your thoughts influence the world around you so that you can organize your space, time and money. Learn how to set and reach your lifelong goals. The next round of $59 Online Interactive e-courses starts July 12 and runs for four weeks. Can't wait? Find out more about one-on-one coaching by email or phone.

Don't miss another Urban Nomad blog post! Become a fan of Urban Nomad on Facebook or visit the blog to sign up for email updates in the upper left hand corner.

2 comments:

  1. Dawn! Sarah and Brooks are my cousins! What in the small world?!! I just looked at this picture asking myself, "what am I looking at? how can this be?" and then read your post! Crazy, crazy, crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Becca - your father connected us by email before I left for New Zealand, and then it turned out that my friend Travis from Minnesota is in a worship band with Brooks' brother, so we both had connections! We stayed with them and even brought a video game they wanted and couldn't get over there. They were wonderful hosts!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...