Pages

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Tuesday Travel Tip: Don't Plan Anything for the Last Day

{Image by photographer Mark Shaw 
for LIFE Magazine in 1957 via Paris Hotel Boutique}
I always try to keep my schedule as open as possible on my last day in a particular location whether I have been there for months, weeks or only a few days. I run my errands, see the most important people and places, and eat all my favorite meals before the last day. I even have a general idea of what I need to pack before the last day.

When I am at a multi-day event and I run into people who say "we should grab coffee while we're here" I schedule it right away, but not for the last day.

If I remove the last day as a possible day to do things, I move the urgency earlier and actually do all sorts of things earlier. Doing "last day things" when I know it's not really the last day is also great, because I know that if something doesn't go quite right, I actually have one more day.

Keeping my last day free allows me to spend a little more time on anything that has held meaning for me in that place. On my last days in various locations I have had time to talk for hours with a close friend without worrying about travel plans, sit outside the Sydney Opera House and watch the sun set, take advantage of unexpected opportunities because I know that things are all set for my impending departure.

Planning ahead actually gives you more opportunity to be flexible and have a meaningful experience before your departure.
***
The next round of 4-week interactive eCourses starts TODAY! There is still room for you, so find out more and reserve your spot to create your personal mission statement, organize your time and space, or learn to reach goals once and for all.

Don't want to miss another blog post? Sign up on my website to have them delivered by email or become a fan of Urban Nomad on Facebook to see them in your news feed.

Is it time make a creative and lasting impact on your personal life or organization? I can help you make a map to your goal through one-on-one coaching by phone or email.

Do you know a smart, creative, spiritually-minded person who might be interested in this blog post? Please forward it in it's entirety, compliments of Dawn Trautman, Urban Nomad. Copyright, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...